Saturday, February 26, 2011

Jaw Distractor Removal...Final Step! 2/25/2011


Alleluia!  Aiden's surgery went perfectly!!  We had this surgery schedule 2 or 3 other times, but something would always delay it.  It's finally over.  No more hardware in the Luv Muffin. The surgery actually took place yesterday at Children's Memorial, it was scheduled for 4pm...so I was able to sleep till 1pm (I got 4 hours...not BAD!) and we were on our way by 1:45pm.   I wasn't as nervous as previous surgeries because Aiden didn't need to go thru the ordeal of having an IV to get an antibiotic treatment, he was officially CLEARED of his MRSA colonization!  This occured just this past week. He will no longer be treated like he has leprosy....and no more powerful antibiotics before surgery.  He was colonized with MRSA while he was in NICU and it's usually VERY difficult to get rid of...in fact, we tried once before. You need 3 negative swabs of the nares (nose), trache site and g-tube...and the last time we attempted this, he had two negative swabs and the third one was positive.  It's pretty confusing, this whole 'colonized' MRSA thing.  So I just nod and go along with it.

Anyhoo, we arrived at the hospital right at 2:30pm and went to check in, but the receptionist left already, so they sent us straight to pre-op.  Okay, I got nervous then.  God Bless Xanax!!  I KNOW Aiden knew something was up.  He started getting a little antsy and didn't trust ANYONE.  He did his usual melt down for the blood pressure and weighing...I hate when he freaks out!  I know he's terrified, and it breaks my heart!  So then we waited in our little 'waiting' room.  And waited....and waited.  The nurses were nice enough, they were so interested in Aiden...we showed off his before and after photos.  And just as I feared, the nurse came in around 4pm and said that Dr. Patel was delayed.  I pretty knew that was going to happen since we were the last surgery on the schedule.  I'm just glad it wasn't delayed!!  Aiden walked around the room and waved at all the nurses through the glass sliding doors.  He even eventually fell asleep. 

I bet he took a nice 20 minute nap.  Soon, right before 6pm, we got a visit from ENT doctor who was going to look into Aiden's ears and check on his tubes while he was under.  Then Dr. Patel stopped by.  He was still impressed with Aiden's results and how well he had healed...he explained what he would be doing during surgery and then he was on his way to prepare.  Finally the anesthesiologist came by and he was wonderful!  He told us not to worry about changing him into his gown (which usually freaks him out!) and told us not to give him sedation, that he'll do much better, faster, and recover faster if he just used 'gas'.  I trusted him, it made our departure much easier.  Aiden did get upset, but he didn't reach out to us or anything.  I hate thinking about what was going thru his head.  He was taken right at 6pm...the surgery was really going to happen.  Thank GOD!!!

Of course we were extremely nervous, but we knew Aiden was in great hands.  Both Juan and I were about to drop from exhaustion and starvation, so we headed down to the cafeteria and had a quiet dinner. We were both in our own little worlds.  As we were finishing, the ENT doctor saw us at our table and came by.  He told us his portion of the surgery was over and that Aiden's tube was still in place in the right ear....but it was out of place in the left ear.  He told us there was a 'hole' which can act as a tube. (????huh????) and that should be effective for the time being.  He also cleaned out his ears, something that will keep Aiden out of that god forsaken chair that he gets strapped down in for ear cleanings during his next ENT visit .  WHEW!!!  Hearing from the ENT surgeon helped me feel better that Aiden is doing well in the operating room and that his distractors were being removed at that point.  That's when we headed down to the waiting room that we know so well.  I bet we waited another 1/2 hour (maybe more).  I even went online and let everyone know that Aiden was in surgery.  It wasn't long before Dr. Patel came walking in with a small jar containing Aiden's jaw distractors.  He said the surgery went perfectly and that Aiden's jaw bone looked great!  He said he made incisions right over the old scars.  He said he was looking forward to his post-op visit and that it was time to think of the next step...and he needed to start planning what he's going to do with me (EEK!).  (Yes, I need surgery SOON, but that's another story). We shook his hand and he went on his way.  What an incredible surgeon, plus he's so down to earth!  I'd recommend him to ANYBODY!  Then we sat and waited to be called to go see the luv muffin.  My nerves kicked in once again.

I'd say it was about 8pm when we heard our names called.  We gathered ourselves and headed to the recovery room.  We saw the nurse holding a tearful Aiden (I couldn't believe he was up already!).  I guess he was a bit fretful when he woke up...I don't blame him one bit! I grabbed him in my arms, being mindful of his IV, and made my way to a chair.  We gave him lots of love, I sang him some songs, and soon he calmed down.  He looked great!  Just a couple steri-strips on each side of his face and some swelling.  He eventually fell asleep for a bit.  That meant he was at least comfortable enough to relax.  We talked with the nurses as well as the anesthesiologist about Aiden.  They all fell in love with him.  Before we knew it, Aiden was sitting up and we gave him 'his' IPOD for some 'Shaun the Sheep'.  He even danced a little bit.  After watching his sats and swelling, the nurse was ready to let us go.  THANK GOD because there was a definite possibility that we would have had to stay the night...NO THANK YOU!  We got our post op instruction and we sent Juan out to get the car.  It wasn't long before we were on our way home!  WOOHOO!!!  We got home around 11pm.  It was a long, yet successful day (and night)!  That night, Aiden pretty much slept the whole night through. He did want me to hold him towards the morning, but heck, that's what I'm there for! 

 
Today, Aiden seemed to be feeling well.  But WOW!! the swelling is pretty substantial!  But I'm sure that's perfectly normal.  He's his usual playful self.  I've been calling him Luv Puffin all night.  Teehee, I can't resist.  Lately he gets thru that make shift fence (the play house door toy) and wants me to go with him into the laundry room and he makes me sit on a rug while he spins the pedal on this exercise bike and sing for him.  He request, of all things, Jingle Bells...and he's quite fond of 'I'm a little tea pot'.  Ahhhh, the memories I never want to forget.  Then he pulls me into the bedroom so he can play in his crib...and then he insists we sit on the bed and watch 'Thomas the Train' on the laptop.  (Although he's NEVER satisfied with the particular episode that's playing).  He went to bed at a pretty decent hour...this surgery didn't do much to mess up his routine.  I'm just so glad the ENTIRE jaw distraction is done.  DONE!  Hopefully it'll be the last one.

We've been working with him lately with him playing with baby food on his tray...giving him a 'baby' spoon.  He's been really getting into the eating thing!  He grabs my finger with a bit of food on the tip and opens his mouth and uses his tongue. The other day he actually swallowed...a huge milestone...great progress!!!  He even knew it.  He opened his eyes so wide...smiled...and applauded wildly for himself.  He had every reason to be proud!  I think he'll be eating in no time!  Also, he's been learning lots of new words.  Like shoes...and Thank You...and he mimics everything.  Whether it's words, singing, or animal sounds.  I love it! 


Juan's been in the process of finding his ideal job...lots of interviews. He finished school and has two exams to pass (which I have NO doubt he'll do). I'm so proud of him!  He's the best father...I'm so lucky to have found him. 

Oh, before I forget, we took Aiden (well, Juan and Sandy the nurse) brought Aiden in too see Dr. Light, the hand surgeon, and we have a date set!!  First they will work on his left hand (making a thumb by moving and rotating his forefinger).  He'll wear a full arm cast for 3 days, and then he'll wear a wrist cast for a while.  It may take 2 months for his new thumb to be functional...but this surgery is set for April 8th!!  We're moving right along!


Well, I better wrap this up.  Aiden is due for some Tylenol soon. Good night everyone!  By the way, hope you like the new font....I think it's easier to read. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment