Sunday, May 22, 2011

Aiden's First Word! (other than mama or mom)... May 22, 2011

Well, Aiden miraculously went to bed  at 9:15pm because he simply refused to take a nap today. And I can't sleep (plus Aiden's eating while he sleeps).  So, I thought I'd might as well blog a bit.  Today was a fun day.  Although I slept late, we (Aiden, Juan and I) made it outside to the backyard for some swinging.  I kind of thought that MAYBE it would help put him to sleep...and he almost did fall asleep...but to no avail.  Juan and I sat with a beer and enjoyed the beautiful weather while Aiden sang.  After a good hour, he gave the sign for 'all done' and we let him out.  He wanted to go say hi to our neighbors over the fence.  Aiden was being so cute!  Acting all shy like he does.  He was being VERY vocal...all day.  Then he took it upon himself to climb that huge flight of stairs up to the deck...with me closely behind (of course).  I don't know if he's going through some changes, but lately...naps do NOT come easily...and he's being extremely vocal.  Imitating phrases and intonation.  Singing all the time.  Soon it was time for Aiden's dinner, so we brought him downstairs and we fed him.  Of course, while he ate,  he watched his "Thomas" dvd and I also gave him a book to read.  I was trying to get him to say hippo.  He was close!  Then I tried to get him to say lion...and by golly, he did!!!  I think that's actually the first word he's ever said fully...besides 'mama'. I actually caught it on video.  I was so excited!! His first official word..."LION". 


I always wondered if and when he would start talking...thinking is it the trache? is it the limited jaw movement that prevents him?  But, I think it'll come in it's own time.  He never had that 'babbling' phase most babies go through....his tongue was pushed way to the back of his throat...and his lower jaw was almost non-existent.  Now, after his jaw distraction surgery, I think he's starting to realized that he can make those sounds like mommy and daddy.  I'm just so excited for his future!!!   It wasn't long before he was begging to go to sleep, but thankfully, it was around 9pm. So we gave him a bath and put him in his jammies... and he's been sleeping ever since.
  
The other day, while Aiden was napping, UPS came to the door with a HUGE package.  My mom told me it was on it's way.  It was a brand new Casio electronic keyboard for Aiden...reminded me of the one my sister and I had when we were kids...but better!!  Juan took it out of the box as Aiden slept on me...he set it up on the glass coffee table, and once we thought Aiden was ready to wake up, Juan played a few notes.  Aiden shot up so fast...I don't think he could believe his ears or eyes.  His eyes were so open wide and he started smiling and clapping.  Finally, he got enough strength to climb off my lap to investigate his new toy.  He was so happy!!!  He absolutely LOVES it.  I believe he's going to be a pianist or some kind of musician one day, and this is the perfect thing to challenge him and feed his interest.  I never saw a child love music like Aiden does.  Every surface is a drum to him...every piano he sees, he MUST play.  I can't wait to see what he does with his new keyboard.  It's so cute to see him sitting on his little red stool (it's like his own piano bench) tinkering away at the keys.  He's already learning the buttons.  He's one happy boy!






Here are some videos when he first started tinkering with his new piano...


Oh...you shoulda seen him when he first heard the funky beats...
I've never seen him dance like that!

I thinks it's the start of a long and beautiful friendship!




He's already starting to act like he belongs in an old blues band...
like from the "Blue's Brothers" or something. 8-D


I guess I should mention...I'm having surgery on the 27th of May...which is actually in 6 days.  It's been a LONG time coming! It's been a battle to get anyone to listen to me (doctors, dentist). Twenty Five years ago I had a chin implant placed (as you know, I have the same syndrome as Aiden) and the implant is eroding into the roots of my bottom teeth...causing pain and abscesses. After three root canals (on one tooth) and many antibiotics, I did research and found that it's possible that an implant can cause these issues (it's rare, but possible). I mean, you can feel and see it along my gum line...the actual implant coming thru!

Finally someone believed me once I went to UIC (the hospital I originally had my surgeries) at the Craniofacial Center. They agreed with me and referred me to Dr. Patel...who just so happens to be Aiden's surgeon.  We discussed our options and he said he would help me and soon.  For a while, I didn't want to get my hopes up. Then I saw Dr. Patel last Tuesday and he went over what was going to happen, and I was so relieved!  For a while, I thought he was just going to remove my implant and let it heal.  Now I know that Dr. Patel is going to remove the implant and cut & move the front part of my bottom jaw forward and fill in the space with artificial bone. I am hoping that will FINALLY help solve my problems. I'm very excited!  I'm hoping it will also be an improvement...but I'll be happy if it's at least as good as the old  implant.  I just want it over with.  My mom is coming in the 26th for 12 days to help us out with Aiden.  That's the thing I'm most nervous about...how is Aiden going to handle seeing me all bruised and swollen?  And at this moment, we don't have a nurse that day.  That would NOT be good.  But there is no way that would interfere with the surgery...we'll figure something out.  The surgery is supposedly an outpatient procedure, which is  hard to imagine.  I trust everyone involved.

So, that's it in a nutshell.  I just want this week to fly by and get it all over with. I'm nervous, but the waiting is the worst part.  I always find that I'm the most calm once I'm in the hospital.  I will definitely blog all about my experience!  Well, Aiden's done eating and my eyes are starting to blur. Good night, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment