Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Mom's Visit...April 26 thru May 10, 2011

About three weeks ago, my mom came for a wonderful 2 week visit...it wasn't long enough!!  When she first arrived, Aiden was in his crib...playing...and when he saw his GrammaDonna, he did his shy and blushing routine.  But when my mom left the room, he wanted to follow her.  We all moved into the living room and he started knocking around blocks...just like he did once before with his GrammaDonna.  He's like that...one thing sticks in his mind...and that's the first thing he remembers the first time he sees that person.  Just like when he saw Mary Anne on Skype...he started popping his cheeks, which she did the very first time he met her last August. His memory recall is amazing!  Anyhoo...he felt comfortable with GrammaDonna INSTANTLY!  I knew he would be!  Of course, my mom broke out all the gifts she brought Aiden...he loved them all!  After playing with his new toys, it was time for Aiden's bath with his new bath toy.  Of course it will be the last time we use that toy in the tub because it made it IMPOSSIBLE for Juan to get him out without a major melt down.  Soon, Aiden was fast asleep.  He looked like an angel!

The following day was a visit to a shoe store for Aiden's very first shoe fitting.  He has a set of orthodics that he's never worn because the shoes we had for him were not fitted for them.  He did alright for the first pair of shoes.  He even modeled them for us, clapping all the while.  Then, when we got to the second pair, all hell broke loose!  He was not happy AT ALL!  So we decided the one pair he tried on (with the orthodics) will do...and we bought two other pair for without the orthodics.  We survived Aiden's first shoe fitting...it went as I expected.  By the time we got out of the store, he was a happy boy...ready for his next adventure...in his new shoes!


It was so cold that day!  Looks like a winter photo...
Once we got home, he put on his shoes and wore them everywhere.  Looks like our shoe shopping was a success!  The rest of that evening was spent just hanging out, enjoying each others company.  Sometimes those are the best times.



The next day was Thursday...April 28th...and it was a whole lot nicer out!  I made myself wake up early knowing that.  As I was finishing up in the bathroom after I showered, I heard my mom holler for Juan, who was upstairs.  Turns out our nurse accidentally stepped on Aiden's feeding tube and out popped his mickey button!  He was pretty upset, imagine a balloon  coming out of a small hole in your stomach...that cannot be pleasant.  Juan came down and put it back in...I came out of the bathroom like 'what the heck happened?' But once all was said and done, Aiden was just fine.  Although he was ready for a nap before the mickey button incident, he was NOT going to sleep. 

So, since it was decent out, we made it to the back yard.  It was beautiful out!  A glimpse of Spring!  Aiden went on his swing for a bit, and did a LOT of walking in the grass.  This in itself was awesome because of his new shoes!  I swear, he's a different kid from just a week ago...one that was afraid of every nook and cranny...and every blade of grass.  So, really, the shoes made all the difference in the world.  It made me so excited at the thought of going to the park....watching him run around and play.  YIPPEEEEEEE!
This is the routine Aiden does to our version of
"When the 'Ants' Go Marching In"

The next day, which I believe was Friday, we brought my mom over to Rich's so she could visit Rich, Ryan, Logan and Katie for a few days.  Aiden always has fun over at their house.   That day was not so warm...there were moments of sun here and there.  Juan spent his time helping Rich set up his Skype with the new camera they ran out and bought, while we played inside and out.  Later in the evening, Rich grilled up some burgers.  We hung out there till about 10pm.  Aiden was so exhausted by the end of the day...it took him about 5 second to fall asleep once he was in his jammies.  Saturday was pretty uneventful. I took the opportunity to sleep in, that much I know!



May 1st was Jennifer and Pete's daughter's (Bella) first communion, so Juan, Aiden and I went over to their gorgeous home to help celebrate.  These are the occasions that we get to see family that we never get to see.  My mom was there with Rich, Katie and kids....and the whole Killelea gang was there.  Of course Aiden was in love with the big shiny piano...he spent much time on my lap just playing.  There were times where I realized that Aiden is not just pounding away, but truly learning the feel of the piano...I think he's going to be a piano player! We spent a lot of time in the basement watching all the girls put on a fashion show...it was pretty darned cute!  Ahhhh....to be young again.  It was so good to see Jen, Denise and Karen...and I got to meet John's fiance...she seems very nice! Everybody was so happy to see my mom there...it doesn't happen often.  We met Sean's new baby. Lot's of little kids running around.  Grandma Killelea was also there, beautiful as ever.  Aunt Debbie, Aunt Kathy, Aunt Roseanne. Lots of visiting! Everyone was amazed at how big Aiden was. They follow his progress on Facebook. Soon, Aiden was exhausted....sort of wandering around aimlessly...kind of like a drunk man, so we figured it was time to head home.  Yet another wonderful day!  The next few days, my mom stayed with Rich and Katie.  I counted the days till she was back. 




It wasn't until Tuesday that mom was back at our house.  Juan went and picked her up after a Grandmother's Luncheon with Logan.  Sadly, I cannot remember what we did that day....I think my mom and nurse Sandy took Aiden to the park.  Once Sandy left, my mom and I headed to Walmart to find Aiden a sand table...we intended to put rice and beans in it because Aiden really shouldn't play with sand (with his trache and all).  Once we got home...we had bought a bin and 2 big bags of rice, 2 bags of beans, a water table, some toys for his rice box, shaving cream (don't ask), and some ABC blocks.  Of course we got off track a little!  When we got home, we ordered some food from Danny's and we put Aiden's new 'rice box' together.  He wasn't all that interested, to be honest.  He will be one day.  Then my mom brought out the shaving cream.  Our OT therapist recommended using shaving cream to introduce different textures to Aiden because he doesn't play with a whole lotta food.  My goodness, Aiden LOVED it.  Shaving cream EVERYWHERE!!  In his hair, on his face...and eventually in his mouth....YUCK!  So my mom decided to bring Aiden into the bathroom and sit him in the edge of the sink to wash up.  Aiden then decided to SIT in the sink (in his jeans!) with the water running.  My mom thought for sure we were going to kick her out of the house...I personally thought it was hilarious!  Aiden loved the water...and the mirror.  We let him play in there for a bit, then put him in his pjs.  After running around, throwing a ball or two around, it was time for bed!  He was READY!!!




The next day, we did make it to the park. It was a wee bit chilly though...but Aiden wanted to get out soooo bad.  We just bundled him up.  He was walking around like a little man.  GrammaDonna went for a little swing with him...for some reason he was still afraid of the kiddy swing.  Who knows...????
Later that evening, Veronica and her sweet daughter, Karla came down to visit and play.  It's funny to watch how Aiden reacts to Karla using his toys.  At least I know he's not aggressive...he can be a little whiny at times, though.  He looks at me like "Mom...she's playing with my toys!" teehee.  Karla seemed to enjoy the 'rice' box...so that was cool. 


On Friday, May 6th, it was more of the same.  Off to the park we went! Aiden pretty much walked the whole way, and eventually Aiden got up enough courage to go on the baby swing.  He's so brave...teehee.  I bet he was wondering why he didn't try it sooner. We even convinced Juan to come out and join us.  It was so cute because he was helping Aiden do the monkey bars.  I can't even do those!  There was a girl there asking all about Aiden and his trache. She even noticed that he doesn't have thumbs.  I don't mind when people ask questions...I rather prefer it.  Because there is nothing to be ashamed of and I'd rather answer questions than have someone stare.


Later on the evening, my brother, Rich came over with his two sons, Ryan and Logan.  They had their hearts set on going to the park, and it was still a little bit light out, so we headed out to the park for another romp.  Fun was had by all.  What's nice about this time of the year is...no mosquitoes!!  Woohooooo!  When we got back to the house, we ordered pizza and had a play-doh party.  It was nice having them over...but it was at that point I realized how small our place was.  But we still had a nice time!!! At the end of the evening, Rich and the boys left, and my mom went along with them.  Even though I knew I would see her again very soon, I still got sad.




That next Saturday, which was the 7th, we met my mom, Rich, Ryan and Logan at the Little Red School House.  I can't remember WHEN the last time I was there.  Brings back many memories of my Aunt Mary and my Grandma...spending Sundays there with my cousins.  Ahhhhh...the good ole days.  Turns out, it's only a 15 minute drive for us!  It was a pretty nice day...a little drizzle here and there.  We met them in the new nature building.  Totally different!  Yes, the little school house is still there, but it's kind of NEXT to the new building.  I must say, though, the new building is very nice!  Aiden surprisingly enjoyed himself!  He was walking ahead of us, looking at all the displays.  I keep forgetting that he's a little boy, not a baby now.  I bet he would LOVE the zoo more at this age.  After we looked through the new building and all the exhibits, we took a short walk out to the pond.  The whole place was going to close in about 15 minutes, but we still had a nice time. We even got a picture in front of the original school house.  All I know is...we'll be back there again.  Maybe longer than 45 minutes...heh heh heh.




Once we were done with the Little Red School House, we headed over to Rich's house for dinner.  When we first got there, Aiden fell asleep in my arms.  He didn't have a nap, after all.  We ordered true Chicago pizza, my mom really misses it.  Katie had music thumpin' and we had a little dance party in their kitchen.  Aiden was gettin' down!  We had a really nice time. Once we got home, Aiden played a little bit with his toys, he was smiling and laughing.  He must've missed his toys.  Soon he was off to sleep.


The next day was Mother's Day.  What a BEAUTIFUL day!!!  When I first woke up and after I got dressed, our nurse for the day handed me a card made by Aiden. It was so sweet, my first handmade Mother's Day card.  The day was made even better when I saw my mom here already.  Juan picked her up from the Breast Cancer Walk she did with all the Killelea's and Rich.  It was in honor of Aunt Bonnie.  This year was special because my mom could be here. She told me it was quite an emotional day for her! Since it was Mother's Day, we let our nurse go home early and we all headed out to the backyard.  Juan was already grilling up some steaks and turkey burgers. The weather was ABSOLUTELY amazing!!!  Before I went outside, I made sure to tell Juan's Mom "Happy Mother's Day" in Spanish.  I think she really appreciated it!  All the Rojas ladies were there.  I bet it was 78 degrees out there.  Aiden was on the swing, while Karla was playing with the 'rice' box.  Of course, Karla got her turn on the swing while Aiden went down the slide. Juan made the most scrumptious turkey burgers...mmmmm....I'm drooling just thinking about it!  It was so cute because Aiden totally fell asleep on the swing, so we carried Aiden into the house for his nap.  It was perfect timing because we were able to eat our burgers.  I started noticing that Aiden needed frequent suctioning...little did we know, it was the very early stage of a cold. He seemed to feel perfectly fine. Other than that...I have to say, it was the most PERFECT Mother's Day. 






 


On Monday, we headed over to Jennifer and Pete's gorgeous house just to get together.  Renee was in from Washington to participate in the Breast Cancer Walk the previous morning.  Aiden made a bee line to the piano.  Ohhhh....Aiden.  Aiden also enjoyed investigating Jennifer's back patio.  He kept going up the step...down the step...and a few times, almost tumbled down the step.  Pete was the grill master...we had a nice bbq.  It was great because it was all a last minute plan.  Those are sometimes the best times!  Everyone was there.  We all chatted...laughed...reminisced...the perfect evening.  After a while though...I felt like all I was doing was following Aiden around.  I think he was over tired...no nap!  Mom and I took Aiden for a little walk down to the pond...I bet that wore him out.  It was great to see Renee!  It was a bonus.


 


On the last day of my mom's visit...it was actually 88 degrees.  Can you believe it?? We took the opportunity to take out Aiden's new water table, and boy-did Aiden LOVE it.  It is the coolest thing!  He played with it for over an hour, maybe two.  He was soaked...thru and thru!  After he was done, he went on his swing to dry off...and wouldn't you know it, he started falling asleep.  So we brought him in to take his nap.  My mom packed and got ready to leave.  I guess it's better to leave while the Luv Muffin is sleeping.  At around 5:00pm, we said our goodbyes and Juan drove her to the airport.  SIGH....I hate saying goodbye.  But I must remember...since I MAY be having surgery on the 27th, she'll be back in two weeks.  Tomorrow I have an appt with Dr. Patel to find out what the heck his plan is for me.  I hope I don't have to delay it...(if he says he was just going to remove the chin implant and do nothing else.)  I've got my fingers crossed!




Well, after my mom left, Aiden came down with a cold.  At first we were thinking it was allergies...but noooo.  He got a fever, that kind of rules allergies out.  But thankfully, he's already just about better.  It was his first 'cold.'  It was a lot less terrifying than pneumonia...that's for sure!  Well, this entry took about 5 hours and I'm about to go crazy, so I'll end here.  Please, forgive any errors, I haven't had a chance to proofread. Good Night All!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment